In this section

Obtaining a visa to study in the UK

Before coming to study at Leeds Trinity you'll need to ensure that you've obtained the right type of vi​​sa to study in the UK. ​
You can check if you need a visa on the Gov.uk website. 

EU/EEA applicants

Nationals of EU countries and Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway and Switzerland do not need a visa to study in the UK until the end of the Brexit transition period 31 December 2020. If you are an EU/EEA or Swiss citizen please see more info on our Brexit page.

Information can also be found on the UK Council for International Student Affairs website.

If you have any questions, please contact our international team: international@leedstrinity.ac.uk.

Non-EU/EEA applicants

If you will be studying with us longer than six months, you need to apply for a Student Route visa (formerly Tier 4). More information available at Gov.uk.

Once you've accepted your unconditional offer and paid your 50% tuition fee deposit, we will process your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) – which is needed for your Student Route visa application to be approved.

You will need to pay a healthcare surcharge (called the 'immigration health surcharge' or IHS) as part of your Student Route visa application. More information on the IHS is available on Gov.uk.

You will need to ensure that you have all the necessary documents, including the original academic and English language qualification documents used to obtain your offer and CAS.

You will also need to show you have money to cover your remaining unpaid tuition fees and living costs. You'll need to submit a bank statement confirming that you have £1,015 for each month of the course up to a maximum of nine months, totalling £9,135, plus any unpaid tuition fees. The bank statement must cover a period of more than 28 days.

If you're using a bank account statement for an account outside the UK you should refer to the Home Office list of financial institutions that don't satisfactorily verify financial statements before using the account as evidence of your money.

Please note: you may have to undertake a Home Office Credibility Interview as part of the visa application process. The Credibility Interview may ask questions relating to your Leeds Trinity programme, your knowledge of Leeds, your motivations for study and your intentions after studying with us.

For more information and guidelines to follow, please see the UKCouncil for International Student Affairs website.

Short-term study visa

If you will be studying at Leeds Trinity for less than six months (e.g. as an exchange student) and do not intend to work or volunteer in the UK, you can enter under the ‘short-term study’ route.

If you normally require a visa to visit the UK (are a ‘visa national’ under UK Immigration Rules), you need to obtain a short-term study visa before you travel. You can apply online but need to visit a Visa Application Centre in your country.

If you normally do not require a visa to visit UK, you can obtain the ‘entry clearance’ on the border and do not need to hold a visa before you travel. Do not use ePassport gates; always see an immigration officer on the border to receive a stamp in your passport.

This visa category has restrictions around bringing family members, ability to work and switching to other types of visas, so please consider your options carefully.

Students coming on a short-term study visa do not need to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge, but you will need to obtain private medical insurance as you will be liable for any National Health Services that you use.

Read further information and complete the application forms to apply on the Gov.uk website.