In this section

We want you to feel part of the Leeds Trinity University community from the moment you arrive - or even before.

The global pandemic may have an impact on your plans to travel to the UK. You can find up to date information on the University's approach to Covid-19 and arriving from outside the UK here.

We are unable to offer a ‘Meet and Greet’ service this year, but if you have any questions about arrival please email international@leedstrinity.ac.uk

Orientation for international students takes place on Friday, 11 September, 3-5pm in AG-55 (Main Building).

Welcome Week

International Students' Welcome Week events are designed to make you feel welcome in your new home.

2020/21 dates

Semester 1
11-18 September 2020

Semester 2
4-10 January 2021

Due to Covid-19, we are running a limited programme in September 2020.

11 September 3:00pm-5:00pm - International Student Orientation - AG55

This session is designed for all students that are new to UK – whether you are here for an exchange programme or starting a new degree course. We’ll give you practical information about life in the UK, university studies and discuss opportunities and challenges that you may encounter during the first months in the new country. We will also cover immigration issues, your rights to work in the UK, how to access health care etc. This is also a chance to get to know other international students and share with them.

We will adhere to strict social distancing rules. Please wear face-coverings and use sanitising stations on campus.

12 September - 12:00pm-3:00pm - Discover Leeds

A self-guided visit to Leeds City Centre. Pick up your free map for the “Owl Trail” at Orientation on Friday 11 September.

16 September 1:00pm-2:00pm - Orientation webinar on Microsoft Teams

This session is delivered for all students who are unable to attend in-person Orientation event on 11 September.

Our International Officer is available for online support throughout the week. Please book an appointment on myFuture or send an email to m.sule@leedstrinity.ac.uk


Term dates

Check out our term dates for the 2020/21 academic year.

See term dates

Find Leeds Trinity

See where we are and advice on how to get here. We may be able to collect you from the airport if you book in advance.

Find us

Your first few days

You'll get to know the university during your orientation and Intro Week - find out more nearer the time.

There may be certain things a new international student needs to do soon after arriving at Leeds Trinity such as:

If you have a Student Route (formerly Tier 4) visa and are attending a course for six months or longer, you’ll need to collect your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) when you arrive in Leeds.

Your BRP is the visa that covers the full duration of your course.

You should collect your BRP within ten days of your arrival in the UK.

If it is not available when you arrive in the UK, then you should collect it within ten days of your BRP being ready for collection.

You’ll need to collect your BRP before you can complete registration at Leeds Trinity.

You will also need your BRP to register with the police if required.

Collecting your BRP from a Post Office

Depending on the details you provided during your visa application you will need to collect your BRP from a selected Post Office in Leeds.

It is likely this will be the Headingley Post Office.

You should have received a decision letter from the Home Office, which states where you should collect your BRP from and the date it will be available.

What do I need to take?

Please remember to take your passport and your Home Office decision letter to the post office in order to collect your BRP.

You need to register with the police if:

  • you are a new student to the UK
  • you are studying/working here for more than six months
  • you have a visa that states you must register with the police
  • you're from one of the following countries:
    • Afghanistan
    • Algeria
    • Argentina
    • Armenia
    • Azerbaijan
    • Bahrain
    • Belarus
    • Bolivia
    • Brazil
    • China
    • Colombia
    • Cuba
    • Egypt
    • Georgia
    • Iran
    • Iraq
    • Israel
    • Jordan
    • Kazakhstan
    • Kuwait
    • Kyrgyzstan
    • Lebanon
    • Libya
    • Moldova
    • Morocco
    • North Korea
    • Oman
    • Palestine
    • Peru
    • Qatar
    • Russia
    • Saudi Arabia
    • Sudan
    • Syria
    • Tajikistan
    • Tunisia
    • Turkey
    • Turkmenistan
    • United Arab Emirates
    • Ukraine
    • Uzbekistan
    • Yemen
    • Stateless or travelling on a non-material document (i.e. Travel Document).

When to register

You will need to register after picking up your Biometric Residence Permit (BRP).

If your visa states that you must register with the police within seven days or similar then you are
required to do so.

If there is no mention of registering with the police on your visa, you do not have to register.

The only exemption for registering with the police within the timeframe stated is if your passport has been sent to the Home Office.


To register with the police you will need:

  • passport
  • Biometric Residence Permit (BRP)
  • visa application decision letter from the Home Office
  • one passport size photograph
  • £34 in cash for the charge
  • completed Police Registration Form (available from the International Office)

Police Registration in Leeds currently takes place at Weetwood Police Station, but please check West Yorkshire Police's website for the latest information.

After you have registered with the police you will receive a certificate.

This certificate must be carried with you at all times and you must ensure that it is up to date.

If you move house or would like to extend your visa you must report to the police so that the changes can be recorded.

No fee will be required and the police will not need to keep your passport.

Student Admin at Leeds Trinity will also require a copy of this certificate to complete your student registration with the university.

If you are studying in the UK for at least one year then you should be able to open a student bank account.

However if you here for less than a year you may not be able to open a student bank account, but you may be able to open an ordinary cash account at some banks.

You will need:

  • proof of your identity - passport or EU national identity card
  • proof that you are a student at Leeds Trinity University - offer letter or a letter from Student Administration at the university.
  • proof of address - depending on the bank you choose may want a certain type of document to show your address in the UK as well as your home/overseas residential address. Not all banks will require proof of your address.
  • minimum deposit and fees - some banks may require a minimum deposit to open specific accounts and charge a monthly fee. In some circumstances, you may need to maintain a minimum balance in your account.

You will able to get a letter from Student Administration from room AM36 at the university.

This document will confirm that you are a registered student at Leeds Trinity and will include your study
details (e.g. name of course, length of course etc).