About this course
During your Foundation Year, you will undertake modules to enable you to enhance your academic skills and equip you with the tools you’ll need to study with confidence. You’ll carry out a personal project so you can study an area of interest related to your chosen future subject specialisation.
You’ll be introduced to various types of media, both in theory and practice, and will develop an understanding of the skills and concepts required by the creative industries. You’ll explore historical approaches towards images and the social power they embody and will undertake an individual or group project to produce work that reflects the culture of 'image'.
Following successful completion of the Foundation Year, you’ll progress onto the first year of our Philosophy, Ethics and Religion BA (Hons) degree.
Through the lens of prominent thinkers such as Aristotle, Plato and Foucault, you’ll examine some of today’s most pertinent moral, religious, social and political questions. We’ll teach you how to interpret texts, analyse complex concepts and apply ideas and ethical values to daily life.
You’ll search for what ‘truth’ and ‘meaning’ might mean by studying a range of ideas and positions. Central questions will include: what is the place of the self in the world?; what values should we hold in contemporary society regarding business, sport and surveillance?; and does belief in God shape the kind of values we hold? In fact, is it this belief in God that constitutes a religion? - if so, what actually constitutes a religion?
You’ll develop key skills in problem-solving, analytical and creative thinking, and learning to engage with philosophical, ethical and religious questions. Putting skills and theory into practice, you’ll complete professional work placements and gain valuable experience in preparation for your future career.
By combining the study of philosophy, ethics and religion, you’ll foster your own development as a thinker and have the opportunity to think critically and creatively, make new links and find new insights – skills which are vital in today’s job market and society.
Why study with us?
- Build your self-confidence, academic skills and core subject knowledge in preparation for progression onto degree-level study.
- Learn from the experts. Our lecturers are active researchers in the fields of philosophy, ethics and religion.
- Learn to think critically and debate the ultimate questions about human existence, values and beliefs.
- Feel supported with small class-sizes, excellent one-to-one support and individual tutorials.
- Become employable. Our interdisciplinary approach will help you develop a wide range of transferable skills applicable to many careers.