About this course
During your Foundation Year, you will undertake modules to enable you to enhance your academic skills and equip you with the tools you’ll need to study with confidence. You’ll carry out a personal project so you can study an area of interest related to your chosen future subject specialisation.
You’ll develop your knowledge of law through consideration of issues and questions that are key to understanding common legal issues. You’ll gain an understanding of the English legal system and how legal precedent is achieved and explore the basic principles of common law and case law. You’ll also consider the usefulness of law reports and learn about key legal personnel and systems.
Following successful completion of your Foundation Year, you’ll progress onto Year 1 of our Law LLB (Hons) degree.
The LLB (Bachelor of Laws) degree is an internationally recognised and valued qualification. This course gives you an excellent grounding in aspects of law relevant to the additional study and training that must be completed to pursue a career as a solicitor. It also covers elements of the academic training needed to become a barrister.
Our Law degree can also open doors to a wide range of legal careers, thanks to our focus on giving you an all-round legal education.
We keep our class sizes much smaller than other universities, allowing us to give you high levels of personal student support.
We’re also one of only a few UK universities to include professional work placements with every undergraduate degree, so you’ll graduate with professional experience without having to take a sandwich year.
In addition to the professional placements, we offer opportunities for pro bono activity so you can build an invaluable portfolio of legal experience during your studies.
In your final year, you can explore specialist areas of the law such as Company Law, Family Law or Employment Law. You can also study a selection of non-law option subjects offering the opportunity for you to expand your law study into areas such as Business; Journalism; Children, Young People and Families; Criminology and Sociology; and Politics.
What’s more, Leeds is a rapidly growing legal centre, making it the perfect place to start your legal career.
Why study with us?
- Build your self-confidence, academic skills and core subject knowledge in preparation for progression onto degree-level study.
- Start your journey to becoming a solicitor or barrister with a LLB Law degree.
- Open the door to a career in a wide range of legal services or related professions.
- Get invaluable professional experience in the legal sector with professional placements and pro bono opportunities.
- Learn in small groups, accessing a wide range of personal student support.
- Learn from a dedicated group of staff who are research active and who share their experiences in private practice.