Postgraduate Diploma in Executive Leadership (with option to top-up to Master of Business Administration MBA)
This work-based programme is designed to provide apprentices with the essential knowledge, understanding and skills required to operate effectively and successfully in a senior leader role. The assessments are work-based, which will allow apprentices to address complex real-world business issues in their organisation. The programme will enable apprentices to gain a holistic overview of the business and understand the ever-changing needs of the business.
About this course
This apprenticeship is suitable for anyone that wishes to progress their career towards senior leadership, or to those already in senior leadership roles who wish to develop their skills further, such as:
- Leaders employed in small, medium, or large organisations in the public, private or third sectors and in all areas of the economy
- Leaders who provide clear, inclusive and strategic leadership and direction relating to their area of responsibility within an organisation
- An influencer at a high organisational level, including sometimes at Board (or equivalent) level, who sets the culture and tone across their area of responsibility
- Specific job roles may include; General Manager, Senior Manager, Section Leader, Head Teacher, Executive, Director, COO, CFO, CEO and Senior Military Officer
The Senior Leader Programme will allow apprentices to combine work-based learning opportunities with academic knowledge gained through formal workshops and projects that are relevant to the organisation in which they work.
The Senior Leader Apprenticeship is:
- Designed by industry professionals.
- Suitable as a way to upskill existing employees
- Delivered in small groups with specially designed learning sessions ensuring that apprentices get the most out of their time in workshops and lectures.
- Required to include a minimum of 6 hours a week off-the-job learning.
- Funded through the Apprenticeship Levy - no fees are paid by the apprentice.
Successful apprentices will gain a Postgraduate Diploma in Executive Education (with the option to top up to a Master of Business Administration MBA).
If you are unsure if you would be eligible for the apprenticeship, please contact us to discuss it.
Programme duration and delivery
It will typically take 18 months to complete the apprenticeship, however, there may also be opportunities to join part-way through the programme if candidates have considerable experience in a particular area. There is an option to undertake an additional 60-credit project after the End Point Assessment to top-up to a Master of Business Administration MBA – this will typically take an additional six to nine months.
This apprenticeship is delivered through a blended learning approach. Apprentices benefit from face-to-face and online lectures and seminars, delivered by Leeds Trinity University. In addition to this, apprentices will also complete independent research activities which can be undertaken in the workplace.
You will study a variety of modules across your programme of study. The module details given below are subject to change and are the latest example of the curriculum available on this course of study.
During your first year, you will study five core modules
During your second year, you will study two core modules.
Learning and Teaching
At Leeds Trinity we aim to provide an excellent student experience and provide you with the tools and support to help you achieve your academic, personal and professional potential.
Our Learning, Teaching and Assessment Strategy delivers excellence by providing the framework for:
- high quality teaching
- an engaging and inclusive approach to learning, assessment and achievement
- a clear structure through which you progress in your academic studies, your personal development and towards professional-level employment or further study.
We have a strong reputation for developing student employability, supporting your development towards graduate employment, with relevant skills embedded throughout your programme of study.
We endeavour to develop curiosity, confidence, courage, ambition and aspiration in all students through the key themes in our Learning and Teaching Strategy:
- Student Involvement and Engagement
- Integrated Programme and Assessment Experience
- Digital Literacy and Skills
- Employability and Enterprise
To help you achieve your potential we emphasise learning as a collaborative process, with a range of student-led and real-world activities. This approach ensures that you fully engage in shaping your own learning, developing your critical thinking and reflective skills so that you can identify your own strengths and weaknesses, and use the extensive learning support system we offer to shape your own development.
We believe the secret to great learning and teaching is simple: it is about creating an inclusive learning experience that allows all students to thrive through:
- Personalised support
- Expert lecturers
- Strong connections with employers
- An international outlook
- Understanding how to use tools and technology to support learning and development
Throughout the programme, apprentices are assessed via various methods including:
- professional discussions
- work-based projects
Apprentices will also create a portfolio of evidence throughout the programme to allow them to demonstrate how they have achieved the knowledge, skills and behaviours set out in the Apprenticeship Standard. Evidence may include reports, reflective logs, formative assessments and learning journals.
Upon completion of the apprenticeship, each apprentice will undertake the 'end-point assessment' which has been designed to enable the apprenticeship to be completed in accordance with the Senior Leader Apprenticeship Standard.
The end-point assessment will consist of
- A professional discussion based on the Apprentice’s portfolio of evidence
- A presentation based on a 4000-word project proposal with a Q&A session.
This will be assessed by an independent assessor from either CMI or ILM, depending on which end-point assessment organisation the employer appoints.
Leeds Trinity University is committed to recruiting students with talent and potential and who we feel will benefit greatly from their academic and non-academic experiences here. We treat every application on its own merits.
The following information is designed to give you a general overview of the qualifications we accept. If you are taking qualifications that are not included below, please contact our Admissions Office who will be happy to advise you.
- You will need to be employed for a minimum of 30 hours per week in a relevant role and have the support of your employer.
- Provide evidence of Level 2 English and Maths qualifications (e.g. GCSE at grade 4 or above)
- An undergraduate degree.
- 5-years’ experience in a management role
Applicants who do not meet the standard entry requirements may be considered based on their knowledge, skills and experience.
Once a completed evidence pack is received applicants will undertake an initial assessment interview with the programme lead to establish suitability for the apprenticeship.
We offer extensive support to all of our apprentices - whatever your background or academic experience.
This includes access to our peer support mentors and the Learning Hub, which offers tailored support for academic skills.
Fees and finance
Degree Apprenticeships are fully funded by your employer if their wage bill is over £3 million each year.
The government will fund up to 95% of the apprenticeship’s course fees, up to the relevant funding band, if the organisation has spent all its levy or has an annual wage bill below £3 million each year. Employers who do not pay the apprenticeship levy contribute 5% towards the total cost of the apprenticeship, the ESFA will contribute the other 95% directly to the university. Employers must have an account with the Apprenticeship Service Account to be able to reserve Government funding for an apprenticeship. This reservation ensures that funds will be available to pay for the training from the point the apprenticeship starts.
Read more about how levy payments work from the UK Government website.
How to apply
Whether you’re looking to develop your skills with us as an apprentice, or you’re an employer looking for more information on using Leeds Trinity University as a training provider, please complete the form below and we will contact you to discuss your options.
About Leeds Trinity University
Our professional Apprenticeships combine part-time study at Leeds Trinity University with workplace training. We've been providing outstanding provision in higher education for over 50 years and have significant experience of delivering work-based learning programmes. We're proud to offer a personal and inclusive university experience that gives everyone the support they need to realise their potential. Our teaching staff have extensive and relevant professional experience.