About this course
During your Foundation Year, you will undertake modules to enable you to enhance your academic skills and equip you with the tools you’ll need to study with confidence. You’ll carry out a personal project so you can study an area of interest related to your chosen future subject specialisation.
You’ll be introduced to the main perspectives, investigation methods, key theories, research and controversies across the main areas of psychology. You'll study quantitative and qualitative approaches to research and learn about the application of psychology in a professional context in each of the British Psychological Society (BPS) professional areas.
Following successful completion of the Foundation Year, you’ll progress onto the first year of our Psychology BSc (Hons) degree.
We’ll teach you the core areas of psychology, which include developmental, cognitive, social, biopsychology and individual differences. You’ll put this theory into practice through the professional work placements included in your degree, as well as assessments which help you to develop valuable real-world skills
You will consider contemporary aspects of psychology, including its place in society and its application to ‘real-world’ issues such as environmental psychology.
In your final year you can choose your specialism from a range of applied areas, including topics such as health and mental health, counselling psychology, forensic psychology and neuroscience.
We create a supportive and lively learning environment in which you’ll learn through teamwork and collaboration. We’ll support you in developing your research skills from day one until your final year, when you’ll work with your supervisor to design and carry out your own psychological research project.
Why study with us?
- Build your self-confidence, academic skills and core subject knowledge in preparation for progression onto degree-level study.
- Start your journey to becoming a Chartered Psychologist. This course is accredited by the British Psychological Society (BPS) which makes you eligible for Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership on successful completion of the course.
- Develop your employability skills with vocationally focused assessments and work placements.
- Specialise in the areas of psychology that interest you most in your final year.
- Access our dedicated psychology laboratories, equipped with video recording facilities and specialist equipment, to support you in your studies.
This degree is accredited by the British Psychological Society (BPS) (link opens in a new window/tab) which makes you eligible for Graduate Basis for Chartered Membership on successful completion of the course.