- A good honours degree with a significant proportion in Modern Foreign Languages (French, German, Spanish) or equivalent knowledge e.g. if you are a native speaker or bilingual in French, German or Spanish and have a degree in a different subject.
- GCSE Grade C (or 4, or accepted equivalent) in English and Mathematics. If you do not already have the appropriate GCSEs, or if you are unable to provide proof of your grades, please refer to the GCSE Equivalency information below.
- Suitable personal and intellectual qualities required for teaching in secondary schools.
- Commitment, attitudes and values appropriate to that of a secondary teacher.
- The ability to read effectively and communicate clearly and accurately in spoken and written standard English.
- The capacity to meet the Secretary of State's requirements for physical and mental fitness to teach. All successful candidates will be asked to complete a health assessment as part of the entry conditions to the programme.
NB: Candidates with third-class honours degrees will be considered on an individual basis, and normally only if candidates have additional qualifications and/or significant relevant professional experience.
At Leeds Trinity, we treat every applicant on their own merits and value highly the experience you illustrate in your personal statement. Strong applicants also have experience in secondary schools.
In addition to the above essential entry requirements, successful applicants also tend to have:
- Advanced level qualifications (or equivalent) in Modern Foreign Languages.
- Experience of observing the teaching in a secondary school in this country.
If your initial application is successful, we will invite you to the next available Interview Day.
We encourage applications from students who may not match the academic profile outlined above but who can demonstrate that they have developed their subject expertise by working for a substantial period of time supporting the teaching of Modern Foreign Languages in a secondary school context.
An offer of a place is subject to a satisfactory Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Enhanced Disclosure Certificate and a satisfactory medical. If you are offered a place you will be sent the information regarding both of these checks.
Please get in touch for further advice on 0113 283 7123 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you do not already have the appropriate GCSEs, or if you are unable to provide proof of your grades, we can accept GCSE equivalency tests taken with A Star Equivalency, equivalencytesting.com or Birmingham City University (BCU) bcu.ac.uk. Further details are emailed to applicants who accept offers with us.