About this course
During your Foundation Year, you will undertake modules to enable you to enhance your academic skills and equip you with the tools you’ll need to study with confidence. You’ll carry out a personal project so you can study an area of interest related to your chosen future subject specialisation.
You’ll develop an understanding of the tools used by journalists and content creators, how to spot a story and how to produce content for various media platforms. You’ll be introduced to various types of media, both in theory and practice, and will learn about the skills and concepts required by the creative industries.
Following successful completion of the Foundation Year, you’ll progress onto the first year of our Sports Journalism BA (Hons) degree.
Our vocational approach blends theory, practical skills development and professional work experience. You’ll learn key journalistic skills, such as how to source, research and compile news stories, how to film stories and put together audio packages, and how to write shorthand.
These practical skills are only part of the picture. We’ll also develop your knowledge of journalism theory to help you understand the context in which news is produced, along with law and the social, ethical and political impact of journalism on society.
You’ll learn about the place sport has in today’s culture, as well as the business of sport including sports advertising, sponsorship and staging multisport events.
During your studies, you’ll be able to develop a professional portfolio of work and gain journalism experience through the professional work placements included in your degree. Your learning environment will simulate the professional news environment, with newsrooms and industry-standard TV and broadcast studios on campus.
Why study with us?
- Build your self-confidence, academic skills and core subject knowledge in preparation for progression onto degree-level study.
- Specialise in sports. You'll develop core journalism skills, alongside a detailed understanding of sport and its social and cultural context.
- Learn from the experts. Our lecturers are award-winning with extensive industry experience and links.
- Be inspired. You'll meet some of the UK's most highly respected sports journalists at our acclaimed annual Journalism and Media Week.
- Our graduates get great jobs. You’ll develop a portfolio of work and gain experience in the industry to help you secure a professional level job and start your chosen career.