UCAS tariff points
Leeds Trinity's four-year degree programmes allow you to commence your studies with an initial foundation year.
This initial one-year period of study allows you to develop your academic skills and confidence through undertaking four 30-credit 'Level 0' modules.
These modules are designed to introduce you to a number of key concepts, debates and skills that will inform your second, third and fourth years of study.
If you have the capacity to undertake degree-level study, but may not have the required entry requirements to do so, this offers you an alternative way into university.
It also offers a development opportunity to you if you wish to build your skills and confidence by undertaking four - rather than three - years of university study.
Get a feel for life at Leeds Trinity - come to our next Open Day.
Explore our campus, chat to lecturers and current students, and get advice on your UCAS application.
Subject Focus Day
Are you a Year 12 student considering applying to start university?
Subjects Focus Days are designed as taster days of what it’s like to study each subject at Leeds Trinity.
About this course
The Sport and Health Foundation Year is for you if:
- you do not have the right qualifications for a full degree
- you feel you are not yet ready for degree-level study
- you are returning to study and feel you need some help to get up to speed with the demands of learning before embarking on a degree.
Upon successful completion of the foundation year, you will be able to progress to Level 4 of these linked honours degrees:
- Exercise, Health and Nutrition
- Health and Social Care
- Physical Education
- Physical Education & Sports Coaching
- Sport and Exercise Sciences
- Sport and Exercise Sciences (Sports Nutrition)
- Sports Therapy and Rehabilitation
- Sports Coaching
- Strength and Conditioning Science
The module details given below are subject to change, and are the latest example of the curriculum available on this course of study.
Academic skills and studying with confidence
All Foundation students will take this module to help manage the transition to university life and any challenges it may pose. We'll help you develop skills such as using electronic resources, planning and note-taking, communication skills related to essay and report writing and delivering presentations. You'll learn how to be successful in time and stress management and you'll become more confident and engaging with collaborative learning, debates, discussions and critical reflection.
All Foundation students will take this highly personalised module which allows you to study an area of interest related to your chosen future specialisation. The subject content and format will be varied and you will work individually on your chosen project, whether that's a written report, a presentation and oral examination, a film or a series of blog posts. You will undertake problem-solving learning and formative feedback and support will be provided throughout, helping develop your self-confidence.
Communication: Introduction to the Modern Media
This module will introduce you to various types of media, both in theory and practice. You will explore the role of 'story' in film and television, radio and the web that engages with audiences. You will develop an understanding of narrative structure, character development and idea generation, as well as understanding the skills and concepts required by the creative industries through lectures, workshops and practical exercises.
Image: Introduction to Humanities
This module explores a range of historical approaches towards images and the social power they embody. From religious icons to celebrity glamour, fine art to selfies, you will develop an understanding of what humans have done and can do with images to shape attitudes and beliefs. As well as seminars, short lectures and workshops, you undertake an individual or group project to produce work that reflects the culture of 'image'.
Learning and teaching
At Leeds Trinity we aim to provide an excellent student experience and a personal approach to helping you achieve your academic and professional potential. We have a strong tradition of supporting student employability, with relevant skills embedded in the curriculum.
The key themes of our strategy are:
- student confidence
- social responsibility.
To help you achieve your potential we emphasise learning as a collaborative process, with a range of student-led and real-world activities. This approach ensures that you fully engage in shaping your own learning, developing your critical thinking and reflective skills so that you can identify your own strengths and weaknesses, and use the extensive learning support system we offer to shape your own development.
For over 50 years, we have developed a strong reputation for the quality of our teaching.
We believe the secret to great learning and teaching is simple: it is about creating an inclusive learning experience that allows all students to thrive through:
- Personalised support
- Expert lecturers
- Strong connections with employers
- An international outlook
- The right tools and technology
A variety of assessment methods are used, matched to the learning outcomes for your programme, to enable you to demonstrate the full range of knowledge and skills that you have developed.
For more details on specific assessment methods for this course contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Leeds Trinity University is committed to recruiting students with talent and potential and who we feel will benefit greatly from their academic and non-academic experiences here. We treat every application on its own merits; we value highly the experience you illustrate in your personal statement.
The following information is designed to give you a general overview of the qualifications we accept. If you are taking qualifications that are not included below, please contact our Admissions Office who will be happy to advise you.
|GCSE requirements||English Language at Grade C or 4|
Applications are welcome from mature students with few or no formal qualifications.
Any previous relevant work experience and learning will be assessed and, where appropriate, accredited as part of the application process.
This course is not available to Tier 4 students.
UK & EU Students:
Tuition fees cost £9,250 a year for this course in 2020/2021.
Part-time tuition fees will be pro-rated accordingly to the number of credits you're studying. Depending on government policy, tuition fees may rise with inflation in future years.
Tuition fees for 2021/22 entry will be set in summer 2020.
Living costs, e.g. accommodation, travel, food, will also need to be taken into consideration.
Leeds Trinity offers a range of bursaries and scholarships to help support students while you study.
We advise students to budget for the following in addition to annual tuition fees:
- Recommended and required reading lists will be provided at the start of your course. All the books and e-books are available from our Library to borrow but you may choose to purchase your own.
- Field trips may occur during this course and they will be either fully or partly subsidised by the University. More details will be provided at the start of the course.
- You'll need to include placement/s travel and associated costs too, however the University will contribute a standard amount towards your total expenditure.
- The University provides students with a £6 printing credit each academic year which can be topped up either on campus or online
How to apply
Apply on the UCAS website for the following courses:
- Exercise, Health and Nutrition with Foundation Year in Sport and Health
- Health and Social Care with Foundation Year in Sport and Health
- Physical Education with Foundation Year in Sport and Health
- Physical Education & Sports Coaching with Foundation Year in Sport and Health
- Sport and Exercise Sciences with Foundation Year in Sport and Health
- Sport and Exercise Sciences (Sports Nutrition) with Foundation Year in Sport and Health
- Sports Therapy and Rehabilitation with Foundation Year in Sport and Health
- Sports Coaching with Foundation Year in Sport and Health
- Strength and Conditioning Science with Foundation Year in Sport and Health