About this course
During your Foundation Year, you will undertake modules to enable you to enhance your academic skills and equip you with the tools you’ll need to study with confidence. You’ll carry out a personal project so you can study an area of interest related to your chosen future subject specialisation.
You’ll be introduced to the main perspectives, investigation methods, key studies and controversies in key areas of psychology. You’ll study sociology and criminology, focusing on social inequalities and patterns of crime.
Following successful completion of the Foundation Year, you’ll progress onto the first year of our Sociology BA (Hons) degree.
Your degree will give you a range of knowledge across areas that are fundamental to sociology. You will explore topics such as crime, deviance, justice and human rights, and you will discover and explore new areas and issues that interest and excite you. All of which will give you a comprehensive understanding of the value of sociology and how it helps us understand real-world issues that impact us all.
We know that professional experience is crucial to your success, so you’ll complete professional work or volunteering placements as part of your degree. We’ll match you with one of our employer partners, or support you in finding your own opportunities.
Through these placements, and the assessments on your course, you will develop valuable skills that employers frequently praise our sociology graduates for, such as critical thinking and an eye for detail.
Why study with us?
- Build your self-confidence, academic skills and core subject knowledge in preparation for progression onto degree-level study.
- Learn from the experts. Our courses are developed and taught by experienced and passionate social researchers.
- Graduate with professional work experience, thanks to the placements included with your degree.
- Take charge of your learning through group discussion and collaboration in the classroom.
- No exams – we feel the best way to assess your learning is through coursework.