Graduate Diploma in Professional Policing Practice (Level 6)
This work-based programme is designed to provide the essential knowledge, understanding and skills required to operate effectively as a modern Police Officer.
Don’t have a degree?
If you’re looking to become a police officer, but don’t currently have a degree, click below to find out about our Police Constable Degree Apprenticeship.
About this course
This programme is suitable for Degree or Master’s holders and career changers (who already hold any degree) who wish to pursue a career as a Police Officer.
It will allow learners to combine workplace learning opportunities with theoretical knowledge gained through a number of formal classes which are relevant to modern-day policing.
This programme provides a route into policing that enables you to receive practical on-the-job learning alongside academic theory and knowledge while earning a salary of circa £24,000 (increasing to a minimum of £26,371 after two years). Starting salaries are reviewed annually. You will be a police officer from your first day on the job but will be required to successfully complete the course to be confirmed in the role.
The Graduate Diploma covers areas that are critical to effective policing in the 21st century, such as evidence-based policing, supporting vulnerable people, dealing with cybercrime and crime prevention.
- There are no fees paid by the learner as the programme is fully funded by West Yorkshire Police.
- Successful learners will gain a Graduate Diploma in Professional Policing Practice.
- Your time will be spent across a combination of sites including Leeds Trinity University campus, West Yorkshire Police Training Centre at Carr Gate in Wakefield, and within the local policing Districts of West Yorkshire – Bradford, Calderdale, Kirklees, Leeds or Wakefield. This will also be supported by online delivery.
About West Yorkshire Police
West Yorkshire Police is the territorial police force responsible for policing West Yorkshire in England. It is the fourth largest force in England and Wales.
Programme duration and delivery
It will take two years to complete the programme.
Learners will benefit from lectures and seminars delivered at Leeds Trinity University
On campus learning is supported by a variety of online tasks, independent research, and operational activities.
The module details given below are subject to change, and are the latest example of the curriculum available on this course of study.
The module details given below are subject to change and are the latest example of the curriculum available on this course of study.
- The Police Service and the Role of the Constable
- The Investigation Process
- Supporting Witnesses, Victims and the Vulnerable
- Criminology and Crime Prevention
- Operational Policing
- Leading the Service: Ethics, Integrity and Professionalism
Learning and Teaching
At Leeds Trinity we aim to provide an excellent student experience and provide you with the tools and support to help you achieve your academic, personal and professional potential.
Our Learning, Teaching and Assessment Strategy delivers excellence by providing the framework for:
- high quality teaching
- an engaging and inclusive approach to learning, assessment and achievement
- a clear structure through which you progress in your academic studies, your personal development and towards professional-level employment or further study.
We have a strong reputation for developing student employability, supporting your development towards graduate employment, with relevant skills embedded throughout your programme of study.
We endeavour to develop curiosity, confidence, courage, ambition and aspiration in all students through the key themes in our Learning and Teaching Strategy:
- Student Involvement and Engagement
- Integrated Programme and Assessment Experience
- Digital Literacy and Skills
- Employability and Enterprise
To help you achieve your potential we emphasise learning as a collaborative process, with a range of student-led and real-world activities. This approach ensures that you fully engage in shaping your own learning, developing your critical thinking and reflective skills so that you can identify your own strengths and weaknesses, and use the extensive learning support system we offer to shape your own development.
We believe the secret to great learning and teaching is simple: it is about creating an inclusive learning experience that allows all students to thrive through:
- Personalised support
- Expert lecturers
- Strong connections with employers
- An international outlook
- Understanding how to use tools and technology to support learning and development
Throughout the programme, learners are assessed via various methods including:
- Practical scenarios
Learners will also create an Operational Competence Portfolio of evidence.
Leeds Trinity University is committed to recruiting students with talent and potential and who we feel will benefit greatly from their academic and non-academic experiences here. We treat every application on its own merits; we value highly the experience you illustrate in your personal statement.
The following information is designed to give you a general overview of the qualifications we accept. If you are taking qualifications that are not included below, please contact our Admissions Office who will be happy to advise you.
The following information is designed to give you a general overview of the qualifications Leeds Trinity University and the West Yorkshire Police accept. If you are taking qualifications that are not included below, please contact our Admissions Office who will be happy to advise you.
- Have a degree in any subject (or overseas equivalent) or a master’s degree. If you are currently awaiting your degree results you can apply based on your predicted grades. You must provide a letter from your university confirming that you are expected to achieve a Degree.
- Must have no criminal convictions (minor offences will be considered on an individual basis).
- Meet West Yorkshire Police attendance standard (this relates to absence in your previous role/s if relevant).
- Be able to pass the job-related fitness test.
- Comply with the West Yorkshire Police tattoo policy.
- Pass the police vetting checks.
Please note, the application process can take up to 12 months, depending on the applicant.
Leeds Trinity University offers extensive support to all of our learners - whatever your background or academic experience.
Degree Apprenticeships are fully funded by your employer if their wage bill over £3 million each year.
The government will fund up to 95% of the apprenticeships course fees, up to the relevant funding gap, if the organisation has paid into the levy at least once during the financial year or if the organisation has spent all its levy.
Read more about how levy payments work from the UK Government website (link opens in a new window/tab).
There are no additional costs anticipated
- Recommended and required reading lists will be provided at the start of your course. All the books and e-books are available from Leeds Trinity University Library to borrow but you may choose to purchase your own.
- The University provides apprentices with a £6 printing credit each academic year which can be topped up either on campus or online.
How to apply
Application cycles for the Graduate Diploma in Professional Policing Practice are managed by West Yorkshire Police. If you are interested in applying for this programme, please visit the West Yorkshire Police website.
About Leeds Trinity University
Our professional Apprenticeships combine part-time study at Leeds Trinity University with workplace training. We've been providing outstanding provision in higher education for over 50 years and have significant experience of delivering work-based learning programmes. We are located on a beautiful campus just six miles from Leeds city centre with excellent links by road, rail and air. We're proud to offer a personal and inclusive university experience that gives everyone the support they need to realise their potential. Our teaching staff have extensive and relevant professional experience