This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more here     Accept
Find us +44 (0)113 2837100

Council Tax

Leeds Trinity University > Student finance > Council Tax
​​​​​As a student, you may be exempt from paying Council Tax. 
  • All full-time UK, EU and international students are usually exempt from paying Council Tax.
  • Part-time students are not exempt from paying Council Tax.
  • If you live in a house with, for example, five students and two non-students, the two non-students would be eligible for the full Council Tax bill.
  • If you live with your partner (who is not a full-time student) and there are no other adults in the property, then your partner (provided they themselves are not exempt from Council Tax) would be liable for the Council Tax bill but would receive a 25% single person discount on the bill (as there is only one person liable for Council Tax in the property as you are a full-time student).
  • There are exceptions to this rule, for example if you rent out a property or have two homes.
  • For m​ore information visit

Local Leeds, Bradford or Wakefield councils

Leeds Trinity will automatically inform your council that you're a student if you live in the local area of Leeds, Bradford or Wakefield, after you've been fully registered on your course.

In order to claim your council tax exemption, please complete the online student discount exemption forms from Leeds, Bradford or Wakefield council websites. 

If you live in other areas, you will be able to get a council tax exemption letter from Leeds Trinity once you've registered on your course, to provide to your local council.

Additional resources