This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more here     Accept
Find us +44 (0)113 2837100

Visas and immigration

Leeds Trinity University > International Students > Visas and immigration
​​​​​​​Before coming to study at Leeds Trinity you'll need to ensure that you've obtained the right type of vi​​sa to study in the UK, have sufficient funds to cover your living costs, and passed any relevant health checks. ​

Tier 4 visa

Studying on a Leeds Trinity programme for more than six months and don't hold an European Union (EU) or European Economic Area (EEA) passport? Then you'll need a Tier 4 (general) visa to enter the UK.

Once you've accepted your u​nconditional offer and paid your 50% tuition fee deposit, we will process your Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies (CAS) – which is needed for your Tier 4 visa application to be approved. ​

You will need to pay a healthcare surcharge (called the 'immigration health surcharge' or IHS) as part of your Tier 4 Visa application.  More information on the IHS is available here.​



​​​​​​Applicants applying for a Tier 4 (general) visa from within the UK must apply online.

Read and follow the guidelines on the UKCISA website

If you still have valid leave in the UK and have recently studied for at least six months at an institution in the UK prior to the submission date of your new Tier 4 application, you may be able to claim 'Established Presence' from the UK Home Office. An 'Established Presence' means that you can show two months maintenance in your bank account. This amount for 2015–16 is £1,640.

Short-term study v​isa

Study abroad, exchange and visiting students to L​e​eds Trinity University from outsid​e the European Union (EU) and European Economic Area (EEA) on a course programme of less than six months can choose to come here under the 'short-term study​' visa category. This visa category has restrictions around bringing family members, ability to work and switching to other types of visas, so please consider your options carefully.

Students coming on a short-term study visa do not need to pay the Immigration Health Surcharge, but you will need to obtain private medical insurance as you will be liable for any National Health Services that you use.

Read further information and complete the application forms to apply