This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse the site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Read more here     Accept
Find us +44 (0)113 2837100





What are the shortage subjects for teaching?What are the shortage subjects for teaching?The Department for Education currently offers enhanced bursaries to trainees in the following priority subjects in England, Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Computing and Languages. Please note that this list may change yearly. Other subjects also attract an enhanced bursary though at a lower level: Biology, Geography, Primary Maths, and Design and Technology. Subject Knowledge Enhancement (SKE) courses are available to attract applicants from a wider range of first degree subjects into Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Languages, Computing and Design and Technology.<div><br></div><div><a href="">Find out more about Subject Knowledge Enhancement courses</a><br><br>In Wales, the priority subjects are Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Languages, Computing and Welsh. <a href="">Visit CYMRU Teacher Training</a><br><br>The list for Scotland is English, Gaelic (or any subject taught through the medium of Gaelic), Physics, Home Economics, Mathematics, Modern Languages (French, German, Italian, Spanish, Chinese), Physical Education, Primary Education, Technological Education. <a href="">Visit Teach in Scotland​</a><br><br>No specific shortages are reported for Northern Ireland.<br></div>LTU Authoring
Is there any help for someone wanting to return to teaching after a career break?Is there any help for someone wanting to return to teaching after a career break?The Department for Education launched a new package of support for returning teachers in 2015. This will include Subject Knowledge Enhancement courses for returning teachers who already have QTS. There is no age limit for returning teachers, and head teachers often appreciate the additional life experience that they bring to the classroom.<div><br></div><div> <a href="">For the latest, visit Get into Teaching</a><br><br>If you are returning to teaching in Scotland, you may need to re-register with the General Teaching Council for Scotland. Some local authorities in Scotland may ask you to complete a return to teaching refresher course. </div><div><br></div><div><a href="">Visit Returning to Teaching​</a></div><div><br>If you are returning to teaching in Wales, after an absence from teaching in the UK or EEA of five years or more then you will need to complete a minimum of ten days updating through the Return to Teaching Programme, <a href="">visit Education Council Workforce website​</a><br></div>LTU Authoring
Is it possible to get a teacher training course without the required GCSEs?Is it possible to get a teacher training course without the required GCSEs?​If you don't have the necessary GCSEs in Maths, English or Science, you may be able to take a pre-entry test set by your teacher training provider. Some providers may also accept skills developed through other work experience. If in doubt, contact the school or the university that you would like to train with to find out what their requirements are.<div><br></div><div><a href="">Find out more at Apply for Teacher Training - Basic Requirements</a><br><br></div><div>We currently offer equivalency tests for the three core GCSEs here at Leeds Trinity University, <a href="">you can find more information here​</a>.<br></div>LTU Authoring
Is is possible to go into teaching is your degree isn't in a national curriculum subject?Is is possible to go into teaching is your degree isn't in a national curriculum subject?​You are expected to have a good knowledge of your subject, normally to degree level; many teacher training providers expect at least half of your degree to be in your chosen subject, however some (specifically Teach First, and some School Direct providers) will also look at your A level subjects, particularly if you wish to teach a shortage subject (for example an Economics degree and A*/A/B grade Maths A level wanting to teach Maths).<br><br>For primary teaching, you normally teach across the whole national curriculum; you should show a good understanding of national curriculum subjects, even if you may not have studied some of them beyond GCSE, and even if your degree is not in a national curriculum subject. Increasingly, primary teachers will have subject specialisms such as science or languages.<br><br>For secondary teaching, you may still be able to teach if your degree is not a national curriculum subject; it helps if you can show that your degree included a lot of content which does relate to a national curriculum subject (e.g. Statistics for a prospective Maths teacher). It may also be possible to study ad​ditional modules in a national curriculum subject (e.g. if your course offers 'free elective' modules, or by taking Open University modules); and there are Subject Knowledge Enhancement courses to bring your knowledge up to a required level in certain subjects (currently Maths, Physics, Chemistry, Modern Foreign Languages, Computing, Design & Technology).<div><br></div><div><a href="">Visit Subject Knowledge Enhancement courses​</a><br><br>It is advisable to contact admissions tutors and training institutions you are thinking of applying to, in order to find how they would consider your particular qualifications.<br><br>Note that ultimately your teaching qualification is not subject-specific so once established in a teaching job it may be possible to teach a range of subjects that relate to your experience and interest.<br><br><a href="">Visit for more information</a><br></div>LTU Authoring
Can you train as a teacher if you have a foundation degree?Can you train as a teacher if you have a foundation degree?To train as a teacher you need a degree at 2.2 or above although some institutions ask for a 2.1 or above. If it is a secondary teacher it would usually be teaching your degree subject.<br><br>You also need a GCSE grade C or equivalent in Maths and English – and Science for primary teaching, some areas and providers ask for B's.<br><br>Your main options would be:<div><ul><li>Top up your foundation degree to a honours degree, followed by a teacher training programme such as PGCE or School Direct (check that your foundation degree and top-up modules have sufficient national curriculum content to be accepted onto a PGCE). Top-up courses usually last one-year full-time, find them either by contacting universities directly to see what they offer or by using the course search at <a href=""></a><br></li><li>It may be possible to take a two- year degree course with qualified teacher status (QTS) – these mainly in shortage subjects and can be found by searching for 'QTS' on the UCAS course search at <a href=""></a><br></li></ul></div>LTU Authoring
What is a SCITT?What is a SCITT?​A SCITT is a group of schools working in conjunction with a local training provider, such as a university, which offer teacher training courses. They are only available in England. The courses are usually full-time and last one year. The course is a mix of academic and practical, school based elements, but there is a much higher percentage of the course spent on the school-based part. The successful completion of the course leads to QTS, and some SCITT programmes also lead to a PGCE. Applications are made through UCAS Teacher Training. <br><br>Leeds Trinity University currently works with 2 SCITT programmes, Leeds SCITT and Northern Lights SCITT. You can find more information about these programmes on their websites:<div><br></div><div><a href="">Leeds SCITT</a></div><div><a href="">Northern Lights SCITT​</a><br></div>LTU Authoring
Can you teach in Europe if you have a UK teaching qualification?Can you teach in Europe if you have a UK teaching qualification?​The answer to this will vary with the country where you want to teach and the type of school private or public), Assuming you want to teach the subject/age range relevant to your training in a school in Europe, the following information may help:<br><br>The teaching profession is covered by the general system for the recognition of professional qualifications across European Economic Area (EEA) member states. Although covered by the general system, teaching qualifications are not automatically recognised by EEA states, so you have to apply for recognition in the country where you want to teach. <div><br></div><div><a href="">Visit EUROPA for informaiton on your chosen country</a><br><br>Getting recognition does not mean you will find it easy to get a job, as competition may be high. You will find most jobs require at least one year's experience. Language fluency will be expected in most countries, except in English medium schools. For further information on these schools, visit <a href=""></a> and <a href=""></a>. You can search for job vacancies in Europe at <a href=""></a> and <a href=""></a>.<br></div>LTU Authoring
Are UK teaching qualifications valid abroad?Are UK teaching qualifications valid abroad?​A PGCE and the achievement of qualified teacher status do not necessarily qualify you to teach in another country. All countries have their own rules and regulations as top who can and who cannot be accepted as a qualified teacher. Most, but not all, overseas schools will require applicants for teaching posts to have a recognised degree and in practice, most jobs would require you to be a  fully qualified teacher with experience.<br><br>In Europe the teaching profession is covered by the general system for the recognition of professional qualifications across EEA member states. Although covered by the general system, teaching qualifications are not automatically recognised by EEA States, so you have to apply for recognition in the country where you want to teach.<br><br>For non-European countries you will need to contact the teaching professional body for the countries you are interested in to find out specific requirements. Also, be aware that in some countries, e.g. Canada and the USA, different regions or states have different policies so you will need to contact local education departments for information. In some cases, PGCEs are recognised but non-PGCE routes to qualified teacher status are not. You will need a working visa or permit for certain countries.<br><br>Some starting points:<br><ul><li><a href="">Europe</a><br></li><li><a href="">USA</a><br></li><li><a href="">Canada</a><br></li><li><a href="">Australia​</a><br></li></ul>LTU Authoring
How much classroom experience is needed to get into teacher training? How do you find it?How much classroom experience is needed to get into teacher training? How do you find it?All applicants for teacher training are advised to have relevant classroom experience prior to applying (or failing this, to have arranged to get experience in the near future). The exact amount required varies from institution to institution (some specify a minimum number of hours required; others are less specific); and from subject to subject (you will generally need more in a competitive area like English or Primary, than in a 'shortage' area like Maths); check the websites of individual institutions.<br><br>There are various ways of finding work experience, from making direct contact with individual schools, to participating in university outreach activities involving local schools, to the government's School Experience Programme (secondary). <div><br></div><div><a href="">Find out more about Getting School Experience</a><br><div><a href="">Contact details of schools are on the Edubase website​</a></div></div>LTU Authoring
How do you train to become an Early Years teacher?How do you train to become an Early Years teacher?Early Years teachers are trained to teach across the Early Years Foundation Stage (from birth to 5 years old) and may be employed in a wide variety of early years settings. Initial teacher training programmes lead to the award of Early Years Teacher Status (EYTS), which is deemed to be equivalent to Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). Entry requirements for early years' teacher training are the same as for primary teacher training: GCSE grade C (or equivalent) in English, Maths and a Science subject: a degree: successful completion of the professional skills tests.<br><br>Early Years Initial Teacher Training (EYITT) programmes are available to graduate in two forms (currently only the employment based entry is offered at Leeds Trinity University);<br><br>Mainstream Graduate Entry – a 12 month full-time programme including substantial placement experience, for graduates with little or no experience of working with children 0-5 years. For graduates beginning their training in 2015, a grant of £7000 for course fees is available to all trainees, whilst with a First Class or 2:1 degree will receive bursaries of £9000 and £4000 respectively. Training may be led by a Higher Education Institution or by a school or nursery in partnership with an accredited training provider. The Department of Education has a list of accredited providers. Applications are made directly to the training provider for both HEI-led and school-led routes.<br><br>Employment Based Graduate Entry – a part time programme of up to 12 months for graduates employed within an early years setting. Tuition fees are funded by the NCTL. If you wish to follow the employment-based route, you'll need to speak to your employer in the early years setting and get their agreement.<br><br>For further information, see Get into Teaching or visit our website at <a href="">​</a><br>LTU Authoring
Is it possible to teach in primary schools if you have trained in a secondary (and vice-versa)Is it possible to teach in primary schools if you have trained in a secondary (and vice-versa)​Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) is required to teach in any maintained school (or non-maintained special school) in England, but in theory it is possible with QTS to teach any age range (5-16) and subject. In practice, it is for each school to decide whether an individual has sufficient subject knowledge or experience of the age group to be appointed to any specific position. It may be more feasible in areas with recruitment difficulties and/or in shortage subjects, and undertaking additional subject study may improve the chances.<br><br>Teachers with QTS are also allowed to teach in the post-compulsory sector i.e. further education and sixth form colleges.<br>LTU Authoring
Is it possible to get on a teacher training course with a third class degree?Is it possible to get on a teacher training course with a third class degree?​While it is theoretically possible to get onto a teacher training course with a 3rd class degree, only 3rd class degree holders in Maths and Physics, with a B, A or A* grade in Maths or Physics (or equivalent), will be eligible to receive a training bursary from the Department for Education. In all other subjects only those with a 2:2 or above will qualify for available bursaries. Many providers will not consider applicants without at least a 2:2 and those applying for competitive areas, such as Primary, History or PE are unlikely to be accepted. Other providers look at what skills and school experience the applicant brings, and may give credit for studying additional (e.g. Open University) modules, or undertaking postgraduate study. So for the right person with really good school experience, it may be possible to get onto a PGCE, though you would be likely to have to support yourself. Researching and contacting the institutions before applying is essential.<br>LTU Authoring
Some PGCEs are at Masters Level, others are not - will this affect my job prospects?Some PGCEs are at Masters Level, others are not - will this affect my job prospects?​UCAS explain the difference between the two levels of PGCE course:<br><br>In addition to QTS many training programmes also award you the Professional Graduate Certificate in Education, the Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE) or the Professional Graduate Diploma in Education (PGDE). These are academic qualifications focusing on developing teaching skills. You still get QTS, but you'd get a PGCE as well. The Professional Graduate Certificate in Education is at the same level academically as the final year of an honours degree (NQF Level 6 course). The Postgraduate Certificate in Education and the Professional Graduate Diploma in Education contain some credits at master's (NQF Level 7) degree level. The number of credits at this level varies a lot from one training programme to another. Some providers give you the chance to study for the credits you'd need for a full master's degree after you've completed your training. <br><br>The UCAS Course Search allows you to specify professional (not Masters level) or postgraduate (Masters level) PGCEs (or either) – select these in the 'outcomes' drop-down box.<br><br>QTS is required to teaching state schools in England. However, if you want to teach internationally, or in other UK regions (particularly Scotland) you are likely to need an academic qualification such as a PGCE alongside this. The requirement for masters-level credits varies between countries.   <br><br>At Leeds Trinity University, PGCEs are offered at both Level 6 and Level 7, and it expected that trainees will study the two 30 credit modules to gain a Level 7 Post Graduate Certificate in Education, unless there is a clear reason not to do so. The two modules that trainees undertake are in each placement, with one focussing on pupil progression, and the other on supporting individual pupil needs. Once completed a Leeds Trinity graduate can 'port' their 60 credits directly into the Leeds Trinity MA in Education, and begin their MA studies at the second year of study, rather than the first.<br>LTU Authoring
How are PGCE and School Direct courses financed?How are PGCE and School Direct courses financed?As the situation tends to change from year to year, the best way to answer this is by referral to the official websites.<br><ul><li>England: <a href=""></a><br></li><li>Wales: <a href=""></a></li><li>Scotland: <a href=""></a></li><li>Northern Ireland <a href=""></a><br></li></ul>LTU Authoring
What are the key differences between School Direct and PGCE?What are the key differences between School Direct and PGCE?​To answer this question consider:<br><br><ul><li>Base for training: School-led or University-led training is one of the first differences for applicants to consider: School Direct training places are based within a group of schools with experience offered within these schools; for a University-led PGCE, placements could be across a wider region and are not restricted to the partnership of schools within a school direct course. Some providers, like Leeds Trinity University, offer different types of School Direct models: a more local model where a school sends its trainees to university for some of their training (e.g. in subject) but other elements of training are in school; or a more distance model where all training is done within the school direct setting but with university and school staff teaching together in that location. It is important to check how the training will be delivered in any routes you apply for.<br></li><li>Qualification offered: Successful completion of a School Direct course will guarantee Qualified Teacher Status (QTS) but may offer also an option to achieve a PGCE. Applicants should search on UCAS for details of individual programmes.  Almost all University-led PGCE programmes offer the option to undertake Masters credits during the course.</li><li>Entry requirements: School Direct (Salaried) requires 3 years' experience whereas School Direct (fee paying) and University-led programmes are both open to all graduates.</li><li>Application process: All applications for full-time programmes are through UCAS. Approaches to the UCAS supporting statement should take into account the lead i.e. School or University for the training route chosen; schools may be more concerned about readiness for classroom teaching than universities.<br></li></ul><a href="">More information is available at Get into Teaching​</a><br>LTU Authoring
Can an international student apply for UK teacher training programmes?Can an international student apply for UK teacher training programmes?​You can apply to do a PGCE course if you are an international student with a degree from a UK higher education institution. Or with a recognised equivalent qualification.<br><br>You must have a very good standard of written and spoken English, and you must have the qualifications (or equivalent qualifications) that an ITT provider asks of all its applicants. It is likely that you will be asked to have your qualifications verified through NARIC.<br><br>You should be aware that a teaching qualification gained in the UK may not qualify you to teach in your home country. If you are thinking of training in the UK and then teaching in your home country, check first in your own country to see whether UK qualifications are acceptable.<br><br>You will only be eligible for the government-funded bursaries to train as a teacher if you have been in the UK for three or more years and have a residency visa. <div></div><div><br></div><div><a href="">Visit the Department for Education website for further information</a></div><div><br></div><div>Once you have completed your teacher training, you may need a work permit if you wish to teach in the UK. This could be challenging, especially if you have trained to teach at primary level, <a href="">visit the UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) website for more information​</a>.</div>LTU Authoring
If you are qualified in one country in the UK, can you teach in the other UK countries?If you are qualified in one country in the UK, can you teach in the other UK countries?​Generally speaking, yes. There is mutual recognition of QTS between England and Wales, and teachers trained in Scotland and Northern Ireland are generally eligible to teach in England and Wales.<br><br>In Scotland, the General Teaching Council for Scotland require a reference and documentation (and fee) to support an application for registration from teachers who qualified outside Scotland.<br><br><div>For Northern Ireland, teachers who trained elsewhere in the UK are required to register with the General Teaching Council for Northern Ireland: <a href=""></a>.<br></div>LTU Authoring


Order your copy here >