The North Star Teaching School Alliance is made up of 50 primary schools, offering a huge breadth of experience for future teacher trainees.
Our member schools are based around five clusters: Knaresborough, Ripon, Thirsk, Boroughbridge and Easingwold, with additional members in Selby, Pickering and Malton. We have a broad range of schools: town, village and rural locations; Community, Church of England and Roman Catholic; school sizes from 15 pupils on roll up to 280; from small mixed-form to two-form entry. Our primary schools include forces schools and special schools, nursery, infant and junior and there are also secondary links with our four high-school members.
We have a high proportion of schools rated at least Good, with 11 rated Outstanding and our members offer subject specialisms including SEN, PE, Forest Schools, MFL and ICT.
North Star is a dynamic and innovative alliance.
Our commitment is to support teacher trainees' development through every stage in their career, from initial teacher training to headship with a unique professional development programme that is truly continual. We see our School Direct scheme as a key link in this chain, allowing us to recruit and nurture talent to contribute to the outstanding teaching and learning in our schools.
About the Course
The Programme is delivered in three stages:
- Stage 1: Planning, teaching and assessment
- Stage 2: Individual learning needs and broadening teaching strategies
- Stage 3: Professionalism and induction
- A degree in the subject area or a degree with a substantial portion relevant to National Curriculum programmes and examination syllabuses in that subject area.
- GCSE English, mathematics and science at Grade C or above (or equivalent)
Successful Applicants must
- Meet the 'national requirements' (degree, GCSEs, DBS check, health clearance)
- Have good subject knowledge at degree level
- Have some subject curriculum knowledge
- Have a good understanding of what teachers do
- Usually have recent experience in a school or schools
- Often have (other) experience with children
- Often have experience training others
How to apply
Applications must be made through UCAS Teacher Training at www.ucas.com/apply/teacher-training
For more information about our PGCE School Direct Programme please contact:
Meadowside CP School, Halfpenny Lane, Knaresborough. HG5 0SL
Telephone + 44 (0) 1423 866207 or visit www.northstaralliance.org.uk